Slice is the world’s most advanced biomedical image bank. With over 18,600 images across a variety of disciplines and an annotation tool that allows you to mark features, Slice offers a quick and easy way to teach and learn with biomedical images.
They say that the best way to master something is through developing the ability to teach it. As Confucius said - “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”
So we’re inviting all student members of the BEST Network to show us, and the rest of the community, what you know by creating an annotated image and you could win an iPad mini!
How it works
Watch this short introductory video that shows how to find images and how to annotate then:
- Go to Slice
- Register for a free account or skip straight to logging in
- Use the search text box at the top right to look for images
- Example: body_structure:heart OR disorder:pneumonia
- Have a look at “How to use advanced search” for more search term tricks
- Select an image that can help you demonstrate what you know best
- Choose what you’d like to focus on. Your topic must relate to biomedicine – think about:
- What would be a useful aid in one of your existing courses?
- What concept was hardest to learn?
- What was most enjoyable to learn?
- What would inspire or assist students the most?
- What threshold concepts are key for student understanding?
- Create your annotation layer (example):
- Mark features, provide links, context and explanations in the description boxes, making it as self-explanatory, engaging, and easy to learn from as possible
- Send the link to your annotated layer to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “I know best” so we can approve your participation and track your entry
- Once your participation is approved in a returning confirmation email you can start sharing
- Share it and get it viewed by as many people as you can - no rules here, the more the better, the goal is to get your image viewed! Share via Facebook, Moodle or Blackboard, Twitter, sharemylesson - the sky’s the limit!
- You can submit as many annotated images as you like
1st prize - 32GB Ipad Mini + Wi-Fi 2nd prize – $100 JB Hi-Fi voucher 3rd prize - $50 JB Hi-Fi voucher
Winning the competition
- The winner will be the student at an Australian Higher Education Institution who is the owner of the annotated image with the highest pedagogical value (as decided by the BEST management committee) and the most unique views
- The competition will run for 8 weeks, closing on 15/11/2015. The winner will be announced in a BEST Network newsletter to all the registered students.
Sharing your resource with the BEST community
The BEST Network will provide weekly updates here on the blog on the number of views of the top ten annotated images shared.
We will be sharing the top 10 viewed annotated images*, and other quality slides on the BEST Network Disciplinary loops page.
*The BEST Network reserves the rights not to circulate any content deemed inappropriate.