I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. – Confucius

Gary Goldie assisting one of our power instructional designers Roger.

The BEST Network project would not be possible without the aid of our budding instructional designer team. These are current/past students of medical sciences and medicine who value education and wish to contribute through creating adaptive online tutorials.

Last week Smart Sparrow and the BEST Network joined forces to run an interactive instructional designer work-shop. Nine instructional designers from the University of New South Wales and one from Macquarie University teamed up with Gary Goldie from Smart Sparrow and Johanna Elms from BEST to discuss their experiences creating adaptive learning tutorials and learn new skills to assist in the process.

Designers enjoyed being able to troubleshoot with Gary over problems they have had with technology while Johanna was able to facilitate discussion around the user experience, giving designers a chance to share their personal experiences working on various projects. Designers responses to the workshop included “It was great to see work that’s being done by others in the BEST Network community!” and “If there were questions I had in mind, I would consult with the trainer and the feedback I get is always well-answered and insightful. ”

Smart Sparrow and the BEST Network are keen to remain in contact and develop the skills of a key instructional designer community. This was the first of a series of workshops that will be running throughout 2014 to support our instructional designers.

Email support@best.edu.au to find out about further training activities with BEST and Smart Sparrow.

Carah working on an activity on the advanced authoring tools.